With the 2019-2020 school year wrapping up, AKSVS is shifting to summer learning support for students in Grades 6-12. While the "COVID-classes" available to support learning during school facilities closures focused on Quarter 4 content, summer learning opportunities are traditional, full-semester content courses for middle and high school learners. A few details regarding summer options:
- Summer courses through AKSVS and FLVS Global School are only available for students entering Grades 6-12 in the 2020-2021 school year.
- Because FLVS Global elementary classes are year-long, summer enrollments are not available for Grades K-5 through the AKSVS partnership.
- Courses must be requested by June 26, 2020.
- Students may select course start dates for any date on or before August 15, 2020.
- Courses are free of charge to any middle or high school student currently enrolled in one of Alaska's 54 public school districts.
- Courses may be requested by parents/guardians or by school personnel.
Schools across Alaska did an outstanding job of shifting, almost overnight, from traditional school-based instruction to home-based learning environments during school facility closures in the wake of COVID-19. This shift involved countless hours of preparation by Alaska's educators for a very new and different teaching and learning landscape. We commend our educators for taking this leap quickly and for ensuring ample opportunities for learning to continue during the final quarter of the school year.
The Alaska Statewide Virtual System, a project of Alaska Department of Education & Early Development, aims to support and further expand opportunities for middle and high school students across Alaska through high-quality, online coursework during Summer 2020. Through a partnership with Florida Virtual School (FLVS) Global, AKSVS provides free access to complete summer school courses available for immediate enrollment, with start dates on or before August 15, 2020.